I am driven by an inherent desire to learn and to create something of value to share with the world. It was this desire and my experience gained from the investment management and public accounting worlds that led me to co-found Verasite. Embedded in Verasite's mission is the belief that "none of us is as smart as all of us." I have used my knowledge of data science, financial reporting and modeling, and residential real estate operations to develop Verasite's core set of algorithms. These algorithms use the wisdom of the market to help inform individual portfolio decisions.
My experience with real estate investment companies includes S-11 filings, Single-Family Rental securitization financial reporting, financial and operating metrics as part of earnings calls and board reporting, pro forma modeling and budgeting, and developing and maintaining relevant operating metrics as part of a continuing net yield analysis over a multi-state single-family residential portfolio.
I started my career in public accounting where I obtained my CPA, CISA, and PMP licenses. I conducted investment management audits, SSAE 16 and SOX Section 404 internal control compliance audits, Federal Reserve Board and Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Consent Order compliance audits, and IPO readiness assessments.
Specialties: Database development and management in MS SQL and MySQL. Statistical and predictive analysis with STATA, R, and PrecisionTree. Internal control testing to identify the design and operating effectiveness of controls, control gaps, and control deficiencies. Interacting with business process owners. Managing engagement teams in accordance with integrated audit programs.
Relevant Industries: Financial Services Industry, Hedge Funds, Single Family Residential REITs, Multi-Family Residential REITs, Residential Non-Performing Loans, Small Balance Commercial Non-Performing Loans
May 2015 - Present
Verasite offers a tailored web based analytics system that provides an in depth analysis of keymetrics involving residential real estate. Verasite’s unique evaluative approach uses advancedproprietary software and employs complex statistical algorithms to identify key areas toincrease the operating effectiveness of a real estate portfolio.
August 2014 - May 2015
LivCor is a real estate asset management firm headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. Formed in 2013 as a portfolio company of The Blackstone Group (NYSE: BX), LivCor specializes in hands-on asset management of multi-family properties throughout the U.S. In collaboration with its operating partners, LivCor oversees the management of its properties furthering a mission of maximizing return for investors while offering best in class service to residents.
• Data Integrity and Data Aggregation
Problem: disparate information systems and financial reporting systems for third party property managers, multiple mappings of chart of accounts, and integrity issues with timing of entries.
Solution: automated reconciliation system using a custom-built SQL data warehouse and SQL stored procedures. Third party property manager trial balances were loaded via csv files into the database, mapped, reconciled, and summarized against LivCor trial balance data on a per property, account, and month basis.
• Portfolio Optimization
Problem: Properties had realizable cost savings but did not know which accounts, which types of transactions, and which types of practices were most effective, especially when compared to their geographical peers.
Solution: Identified opportunities for improving operating and disposition results through CapEx projects, controllable cost initiatives, and financial reporting classifications by using custom-built analytics tools.
• Operations and Board Reporting
Problem: With different operating departments and a myriad of workers researching various issues at properties, coordinating a group of people to share information and collaborate on portfolio optimization proved too daunting for e-mail, Microsoft Excel, SharePoint, etc.
Solution: Created an online notes tracking tool that tracked status of open notes by property, account number, and status (addressed vs outstanding).
April 2012 - August 2014
Privately held REIT with a mixed portfolio of 900+ single-family residential homes, 5 multi-family properties, 9 small balance commercial loans, and a small pool of single-family residential non-performing loans. S-11 filed. Securitization of single-family residential rental revenue.
• Operations and Board Reporting
Problem: Data provided by third party property managers is prone to inconsistencies and inaccuracies (differences in accounting, speed of close, speed of entries, etc.). Board and investor reporting depends on accurate and relevant information. Third party property managers could only inconsistently provide this data.
Solution: Developed and maintained controls and information systems to analyze and correct data provided by third-party property managers. Developed and maintained indicators and metrics for board reporting, earnings calls, financial statements, S-11 filing and portfolio management.
• Back Office Systems
Problem: Inaccurate information and inefficient processes (Excel-based analyses) increased audit costs and complexity as part of regular reporting and analytic requirements.
Solution: Aided in reducing G&A expenses by developing a sophisticated budgeting, forecasting, and reporting system to analyze data provided by third-party property managers.
• Portfolio Management
Problem: Uncertainty in costs adds complexity to forecasting and planning.
Solution: Developed and maintained a Funds From Operations model to aid in the determination of the timing and amount of capital disbursements to investors. Developed and maintained a pro forma cash flow model of operating and investing activities to determine operational reserves and acquisition and rehab strategies. Developed a monthly budgeting and forecasting dashboard in order to analyze variances in operating expenses.
September 2010 - February 2012
• Advise leading financial services companies seeking to comply with Federal regulations, strengthen risk profiles, and enhance investor and consumer confidence.
• Build and analyze pro forma models using stochastic predictive modeling tools, decision tree analysis, and stress testing.
• Prepared an RFP response, related budgets, and planning docs for a SOC II readiness project
• Developed new work paper templates in accordance with new interpretations of AS5 and AS13 guidance and PCAOB feedback for SOx Section 404 compliance work
• Prepared summary memos, exception memos, and control improvement observation summaries for clients of SOx Section 404 compliance work.
• Developed, managed, and validated budgets for two and three person teams for IT audit projects
Selected Project Experience:
• Top 10 U.S. Bank Holding Company: As part of an independent consultant group, performed a mortgage servicing business risk assessment as part of the client’s efforts to comply with a regulatory consent order regarding its default servicing business lines. Led the design and implementation of the validation process to verify and document the client’s compliance with various regulations and GSE investor guidelines in the operation of its various default servicing business lines.
• Public Utility: Developed a dynamic pro forma capital budgeting analysis landscape using stochastic predictive modeling tools and decision tree stress testing. Analyzed capital budgeting options within a scenario analysis framework.
• Top 10 Investment Management Service Provider: Performed controls assessments as part of SSAE16 SOC 1 reports for the following business units: Transfer Agency, Fund Accounting, Fund Administration, and Alternative Investments. Assisted the financial audit team with financial highlight calculations, return of capital statement of position calculations, and total return calculations.
- Certified Public Accountant (License # 29763)
- Project Management Professional (License #1403518)
- Six Sigma Black Belt (License #17902)
2004 - 2009
- Outstanding Undergraduate in Economics (2008)
- USA Today All-Academic Team Honorable Mention (2008)
- USA Today All-Academic Team Second Team (2009)
December 2014 - April 2016
- Data Scientists’s Toolbox
- R Programming
- Exploratory Data Analysis
- Practical Machine Learning
- Reproducible Research
- Getting and Cleaning Data
- Statistical Inference
- Regression Models
- Developing Data Products
- Data Science Capstone